Users who need to upload media content and perform administrative functions within the NJVID platform would require to be added to the system. Users can be added to NJVID by Institutional Administrators, Institutional Collection Managers, or users with Manage Users permissions within a collection. Content viewers only such as students do not require to be added to the system.
Once logged in, users can follow the steps below to add users to the system. Select ' from the drop-down menu under the displayed user ID.
The User will then be directed to the 'Dashboard' page displaying all the available user options. To add a user click on 'Add User' option available on the Dashboard or under the 'Manage Users' screen.
Input the Institutional net-id
/user-id for the new user at the next Screen.
Collection Level Permission Assignment
Note: The collection level permissions are only applicable to institutions that have subscribed to the User Upload content feature. Institutions subscribed to the the Commercial Video Service only will not be seeing these settings.
Once the user details have been provided the next step would be to assign collection permissions.
Note: Some of the check boxes are selected by default. You can check/un-check them according to the role of the new user.
Once the options have been selected, a will appear next to the
collections the user has access to.
Institutional administrators (IA) and Institutional Collection Managers (ICM) have additional privileges that they can assign to the added users. These options are listed below.
- Create Sub-collections: An additional permission available under the ICM option, If selected, the user will be able to create sub-collections and manage all aspects of the newly created or existing sub-collections. This permission also enables ICM's to create additional ICM's
Special Note for Institutional Administrators (IA):
In addition to special permission within collections the following additional permissions are available to Institutional Administrators.
Note: Institutions subscribed to the the Commercial Video Service only will be seeing the View Commercial Licenses settings.
· If enabled this option gives the user access to add/edit/delete Institutional groups please note that this permission will provide the user access to all the groups created within an institution.
· Access Commercial assets and licensees report: A useful tool for library staff, if enabled this option gives the user access to view the listing of all commercial video content licensed by the institution along with the ability to see the expiry dates for the licenses.
· Manage Interface If given access will allow the user to modify the interface for the institutional branded web page. (Valid only if the institution has opted for the branded web page feature)
· Access Views report Will allow the user to see the viewing statistics for all media viewed on the NJVID portal by that institutions members.
· Institutional Administrators can now create personal collections for each user's content during the user creation process. These personal collections can be utilized to organize content better and upon creation gives its owner the ability to manage all aspects of that collection by default.
Permissions that a user has with regards to their personal collection:
- Upload, share and publish content including public share permissions.
- Manage the listing options of all published content
- Managing all objects uploaded in the personal collection.
To create a personal collection during the process of adding an individual user, the institutional administrator can check the "create personal collection box for the user" Upon submission of the form a personal collection will be created for the user. The collection name will follow the format: username@institution_domain.edu
All personal collections are created under a default collection termed 'User Collections' created automatically with the first user personal collection.
·User Upload Storage Limit This option will allow the administrator to toggle the user storage quota settings for that institutions members.(For more information see: Assigning Storage Quota to Users)
Default: Select this option to set the users storage quota to the institutional default.
Custom: If the user is to be provided a custom storage quota, select this option and input a value into the text box. All values are in gigabytes (GB). The minimum value is 2 GB.
· Relay Ingest Collection:
User Status: The 'User Status' field allows an ICM to set a status on the user. For e.g a user can be banned, deleted, rejected etc. Only a user with status 'Approved', can create and upload media resources The user can reside in one of the four states:
User has been approved to create and upload content.
: User has been banned from uploading any content or accessing uploaded content for reasons decided by the Institutional Administrator, or the ICM. (e.g uploading objectionable/offensive content)
User has requested access to upload content but not been approved yet.
Rejected : User has been rejected as decided by the Institutional Administrator, or the ICM.
Once all changes to the required user fields are completed, click on 'Submit Request' to save the changes made to the user.
Note (For Institutions setting up Guest/ Local Authentication Login accounts only ) :