- Accessing the Manage Media interface
- Editing the media metadata
- Adding and managing media presentation files
- Adding Resources
- Modifying publishing options
The Manage Media interface enables users to view uploaded media content and edit their metadata and share/listing properties. To start, users need to log into illumira using their credentials. Once logged in, users can follow the steps below to navigate to the Media listing interface.
Select from the drop-down menu under the displayed user ID.
The User will then be directed to Dashboard page displaying all the available user options. To view uploaded media content click on the 'Media' menu button.
To edit metadata and other properties of any media resource that has been uploaded, click on the title link.
The Edit Object page is lets users to edit properties of the media object with regards to the uploaded media resource.
The Metadata/Details pane allows users to edit any details regarding the media. Users can add or change content related to the abstract/description and rights related information of a media.
The Details pane also provides the user with the URL to the media which can then be published or distributed to other users.Click on the Edit button on the top right hand side corner of the pane to begin editing, and click on Submit Request after to have made all changes to save them.
The media datastreams pane allows the user to make the following changes with regards to the media presented on the page.
- The user can choose to upload a new presentation media. Presentation media are the media datastreams that are seen by the viewers of the media. If you have a higher bit rate media that you wish to replace/add to the existing object, you can use this option. Users can either choose to create an additional stream from the existing master file or you can choose to upload a compatible file from your computer or upload it via HTTP/FTP if the file is larger than (5 GB)
- Downloading of datastream: Users can download the datastreams should they wish to save the file locally. Downloading of highest bitrate file is recommended.
- The second option allows the user upload a new source/master file. This option is useful when user wants to 'replace' the existing media and all of its presentation streams. It can also be used in cases when the media is not available at the time of adding a new resource (i.e media) using +Add media option or when there is a change in the video content itself that necessitates the upload of the newer version.
Steps to replace a Master file and existing presentation media:
- Delete all existing presentation media streams.
- Delete the existing master.
- Add a new master file from your computer by clicking on the Add Master option.
- The transcoding process takes place automatically.
Once the presentation files are created, users going to the media link will automatically see the newly created content.
The Resources pane allows you to add Supplementary Documents and Close caption files. For more details on creating supplementary documents and creating captions, refer the article Adding supplementary documents to media & Creating and Editing Closed Captions
The publishing options allows you to edit the following aspects about the selected media object:
- Collections: A user can change the collections in which the selected media is to be featured. Regular users can replace a collection with new collection that they have access to. However Institutional administrators can also add collections so that the video may be featured in more than one collections.
- Share: This option allows the user to set viewing permissions on the media object. The user can choose to make a media object private, share it with specific users or group, share it with the user's institution or make it public.
- Expiry Date: Users can choose a date after which the media object will no longer be available. By clicking on the field, users can choose a date. Please note that after the expiry date the media object will no longer be available and will be automatically removed from the system after a certain period of time.
- Additional Owners: You can specify additional owners (if any) for the media object. One or more additional owners can be specified (comma separated user/netID’s) The additional owner thus also has permissions to edit/delete the media object. They do not necessarily have to be registered users of Learning on Demand to enter their userID in this field, but need to be registered if they want to manage the media object.
- Search / Discovery Option: Allows a user to toggle whether his/her uploaded media object is displayed in search listings. The 'List media in searches for authorized users only' means that only those users who have access to 'view' the media file (i.e shared with) can see the media resource listed and available in search results.
- A list of playlists that the user has already created will be displayed. The user then selects one or more playlists from the lists and the media will be immediately added to those playlists. Users can also create a new playlist by entering it in the textbox below the list and click on "Add" and then the "Submit" key.
- Chapters: Content owners can create and publish clips that can be accessed by users during media playback, these clips are available for all users that have access to the media file. For more information refer to the article on Creating and Publishing Clips for content owners (Published Clips)
Statistics: The statistics option allows user to view usage statistics and graphs for the video.