To upload a video using the media player first, select your 'course' after logging in to Moodlerooms for which you are authorized to make changes.
Click on the 'Turn Editing On' button on the top right hand side corner and follow the steps demonstrated below to upload a media resource.
Once you have turned the editing 'ON' for your course page, navigate to the 'Add an activity' drop-down for your desired week and select the General tool option under the External tools menu from the drop-down list.
Once you select the option from the drop-down as shown in the previous step you will be directed to the information page:
1. Enter a suitable title and description for your video in the 'Activity Name' field
2. Select the illumira Media Player option from under the External tool type dropdown list
2. Select the Embed without blocks option from under the Launch Container option
Click on Save and Display once all options have been selected.
You can insert/upload media by selecting one of the three options in the dialog Box. All three options have been described in the following steps.
- Upload Media
- Pick Media
- Enter illumira URL or Parameter
To begin uploading new media content, select the upload option from the interface.
A brief description of the options available is provided below:
Source: The source tab allows the user to specify where the system should pick up the media file from. To view a complete list of allowed file types please view this support article here.
1. Upload from PC: If you wish to upload a file from your local computer, click on the Upload tab and click on 'Select a file'. A dialog box should open up where you can select a file from your computer. A progress bar displays the status for the video upload. Please allow the file to be uploaded completely before submitting your video. The upload interface only allows a user to upload a file up to 2 GB. All files equal or larger should be uploaded via URL option as described in the next step.
2. Enter URL of Media location: Users can also upload a file using HTTP/FTP links additionally all files greater than 2 GB in size require to be uploaded via this option. To upload a file from a FTP/HTTP server click on 'HTTP/FTP' tab. Enter the HTTP or the FTP URL of the media resource. Users also have the option of using the built in FTP Browser to pick and choose the media file from their FTP locations.
Using the FTP Browser: Click on 'HTTP/FTP' tab. Click on the 'FTP Browser' button. A dialog box will open where you can specify the host and other information of the FTP server. Click on 'Connect' to connect to the FTP server. A list of files in the FTP server will be shown. Navigate to the file or folder and select the file to upload.
Title and Abstract/Summary: Enter the title and description of the media in this text field. This option is pre-filled from the values provided in the previous stage.
· Once ready the user would need to click on the button to create a record for the media and for the media to be uploaded. The media is uploaded and added to the course. The media is encoded automatically by the system, and once ready the media is available for the users to view.
Faculty/Administrators can use the Import/Pick media option to pick media which are available for them and add them into the course. Select the Pick media option to begin the process.
The 'Select a category' dropdown displays the collections and available media that can be added.
Users can choose from:
· My Videos(default listing): This option lists all the media uploaded by the user or that to which the user is assigned as a 'co-owner' using the illumira Learning on Demand interface.
· My Clips/ My Favorites: These options will list all clips created by the user and any media starred (Favorite) by the user.
· My Playlists: These options will let the user embed playlists into the course page.
· Pick a Collection: Users can click on this option to browse through institutional collections displayed as a hierarchical structure. The collections option lists all the institutional collections, containing media that are shared with the entire institution – such as commercial licensed videos, locally produced media content etc. In addition instructors can also see listed any hidden/unlisted collections as long as they have access to (i.e. shared with) at least one media object in that collection.
Using Search Functionality
Users can utilize the available search functionality to search for a media within the selected category item.
Users can specify the URL of any illumira content that is shared with them and the media will be automatically added to the course.