In addition to listing media available within a course, the tool can also be used to upload content if needed. The uploaded media can be then added to any assignments/weekly outlines. Users can either choose to upload from a local computer or pick a media from the available collections and import them int the course.
The upload options are described below.
To begin uploading new media content, select the upload option from the interface.
A brief description of the options available is provided below:
Source: The source tab allows the user to specify where the system should pick up the media file from. To view a complete list of allowed file types please view this support article here.
1. Upload: If you wish to upload a file from your local computer, click on the Upload tab and click on 'Select a file'. A dialog box should open up where you can select a file from your computer. A progress bar displays the status for the video upload. Please allow the file to be uploaded completely before submitting your video. The upload interface only allows a user to upload a file up to 2 GB. All files equal or larger should be uploaded via URL option as described in the next step.
2. Enter URL of Media file: Users can also upload a file using HTTP/FTP links additionally all files greater than 2 GB in size require to be uploaded via this option. To upload a file from a FTP/HTTP server click on 'HTTP/FTP' tab. Enter the HTTP or the FTP URL of the media resource. Users also have the option of using the built in FTP Browser to pick and choose the media file from their FTP locations.
3. Using the FTP Browser: Click on 'HTTP/FTP' tab. Click on the 'FTP Browser' button. A dialog box will open where you can specify the host and other information of the FTP server. Click on 'Connect' to connect to the FTP server. A list of files in the FTP server will be shown. Navigate to the file or folder and select the file to upload.
4. Title: Enter the title of the video in this text field.
Once ready the user would need to click on the button to create a record for the media and for the media to be uploaded. The media is uploaded and added to the course. The media is encoded automatically by the system, and once ready the media is available for the users to view.
Faculty/Administrators can use the Import media option to pick media which are available for them and add them into the course. Select the Import media option to begin the process.
The 'Select a category' dropdown displays the collections and available media that can be added.
Users can choose from:
· My Videos (default listing): This option lists all the media uploaded by the user or that to which the user is assigned as a 'co-owner' using the NJVID / Merit Cloud Media website.
· My Clips/ My Favorites: These options will list all clips created by the user and any media starred (Favorite) by the user.
· Collections: The collections option lists all the institutional collections, containing media that are shared with the entire institution – such as commercial licensed videos, locally produced media content etc.
The user can pick and choose any media that needs to be added to the course assignment/description.
The available search functionality lets users search for a media within the selected category item. Users can also see listed next to each media if it is already added to a course and choose to remove it.
Users can specify the URL of any NJVID content that is shared with them and the media will be automatically added to the course.
The Media browser tool lists all the content that has been uploaded or made available within a course including any media available within course weekly outlines.
Video Playback: Click on any media title to view its description and play it.
The following are the options available to faculty and administrators for the media listed in the interface.
Hide: The hide option if enabled would simply keep the video invisible to all course students. Faculty/administrators would still be able to see the video listed in the course.
Remove from list: This option will remove the video from the course list permanently. However if required the video can be added again to the list using the import media option.
Delete: This option is only available for media uploaded by the user. When selected the media will be deleted and removed from all assignments and courses that it is available.