Here's a list of known and recommended captions creation tools and services. If you are aware of other tools please let us know by sending us an email (email@example.com)
- Universal Subtitles - http://www.universalsubtitles.org/en/ (recommended by NJVID)
- Visual Sub-sync - http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=VisualSubSync (recommended by NJVID)
- URUSoft's Subtitle Workshop - http://www.aboutonlinetips.com/best-subtitle-editor-tools/
- Subtitle Edit - http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit/
- Manitu Group's Captionate ($60)
- VideoToolShed's SubBits subtitler ($199)
- Both magPIE and Subtitle Workshop support the export of captions to W3C's TimedText (Flash), SMIL/QTtext (Quick-time) and ASX/SAMI (Windows Media). For Subtitle Workshop you need the TimedText output script (available from Naomi Spirit). Captionate, (intended for FLV video) can export to W3C's TimedText, though it can also save captions as metadata.
- Automatic Sync Technologies - http://www.automaticsync.com/captionsync/
- 3PlayMedia - http://www.3playmedia.com/
- Comparison between 3Play Media and Automatic Sync Technologies - https://kb.wisc.edu/accessibility/page.php?id=15016
- SpeakerText http://speakertext.com/ ($2/minute)
- Vitac Vitac (vitac.com) for all of captioning needs, live and post production. Phone: 724-514-4081.
- SubPly - http://www.subply.com/en/Products/CaptionsSubtitles.htm
- Subsandcaps: A free online resource to help people find closed captioning providers. At www.subsandcaps.com users can find and compare services from multiple, competing companies, review rates, and reserve their projects in less than a minute.